Based on my concept, a lot of stuff has to change. Now, I’m working my way through the characters, one by one, doing a very detailed analysis of each. It’s a bit daunting- thousands of words that won’t make it into a draft- but it’s giving me a much clearer idea of what I’m doing. Already, my protagonist is shaping up to be a lot more interesting than he was in my first draft.
I’ve changed my workflow ideas yet again. I was giving myself three days a week to just work on the novel, but somehow I’d never get around to it. So instead, I’m giving different days different priorities. For instance, today I wrote a blog post for The Elffington Post first, then got to work on my character treatment. For some reason, if I’ve already done some writing- even if it’s on a completely different topic- it’s much easier to just dive into the novel. Whatever works.